Printer keeps losing bed levelling!!!

Anything retated to the Creality Ender 3 series printers
AndyM

Printer keeps losing bed levelling!!!

Post by AndyM »

Guys I need help here. Although I have a high degree of success in printing with pla for some reason I have to keep relevelling the bed. It's fine for a day or two but then it goes to pot and have to level again. Any ideas?

Edit: What about a bltouch?
Ender3D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Printer keeps losing bed levelling!!!

Post by Ender3D »

Watch this space Andy, I'm busy with the site right now, but I think I have the answer to your problem. I'll get back to you soon as I get a minute.
You know you've done a good job of uprading your printer when you have some screws and wire left over but it still works! :shock:
Ender3D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ender3D »

Ok Andy, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Repeated need for bed leveling on the Ender 3 particularly is almost certainly down to the inferior level adjustment wheels and weak tension springs. I encountered this myself and so to test the theory I painted a white dot on all four wheels. After a few prints the back and forth movement of the bed plate on the Y axis makes the wheels slacken off. At least.. It did on mine. You have two options -

1. You can replace the weak standard springs with stronger/higher quality springs sold by Creality as an aftermarket solution.

2. You can spend a bit more money on better threaded Aluminum leveling wheels. Again sold by Creality.

I would go for option 1. You'll find them on Amazon for very little cost, and they work.

As for the BlTouch.. NO! Not in your case. The BlTouch calibrates (maps out) the contours of your bed before every print. It then makes small adjustments during printing. Because your leveling continues to slip, you will eventually end up building a sloping house on the side of a hill, if you get what I mean?
You know you've done a good job of uprading your printer when you have some screws and wire left over but it still works! :shock:
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Just ordered new springs rob. The adjustment wheels are very loose now you've mentioned it. I think it's the springs like you say

Thanks mate. Will let you know how I get on ;)
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Cracked it rob. fitted the new springs and the wheels are far tighter now. I've done multiple prints and the beds stayed level

Cheers buddy
Ender3D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ender3D »

Sorted 8-)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi guys

I have the Ender 5 and I notice my adjustment wheels are the same as those on the Ender 3, but it came with very strong tension springs. I rarely need to adjust the bed leveling. Just thought I would mention that x
Ender3D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ender3D »

Hi Mitch, The original springs fitted to the Ender 5 pro were similar to the weak springs fitted to the series 3. I've noticed that it's common for Creality to make improvements/revisions on the fly so to speak. I can point to at least 5 major improvements on my Ender 3 over previous versions of the same model. Not all manufacturers can be bothered to listen to customer criticism, let alone act on them!